regarding privacy when your (or your child’s) information is processed by The Math Machine. This policy
serves to inform you of how personal information is collected, processed and treated by The Math Machine
("Us", "We", "Our").
By submitting personal information, about yourself or your child or the Student that you are the guardian
of, to us will be seen as your consent to us to process the Personal Information.
For purposes of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (the Act), the responsible party
The collection and processing of personal information will be by the following means:
- Information provided by you:
- By clicking on the contact button on our website and
providing therein the information requested.
- By telephoning The Math Machine and providing personal information requested by
- When submitting your application to subscribe to our Services.
- When making contact through one of our social media forums (Facebook and Instagram).
- When you complete a The Math Machine survey.
- When you report any problem to The Math Machine.
- Personal Information collected by us about you via our website:
- Technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect
your computer to the internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting,
browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL)
clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); services/ products you viewed
or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page
interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away
from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Personal Information received from other sources:
- We may receive information about you (or your child) when you use any of the other services we
provide or where you have authorised us (in writing) to collect information from selected third
parties (e.g. schools). Any information gathered in this manner will carry your consent as we would
have informed you that, when we collected that information, it may be shared internally and/or be
combined with other information collected on our website.
- Cookies may be used by us to understand the users of our site better. Cookies allow us to understand
who has seen which pages and advertisements, to determine how frequently particular pages are
visited and to determine the most popular areas of our site. Depending on the type of cookie we use
(persistent or session cookies), cookies also allow us to make our sites more user friendly, for
example, permanent cookies allow us to save the user’s password so that the User does not have to
re-enter it every time the user visits our site;
- Please remember, cookies do not contain personal information such as your home address, telephone
number or credit card details, however personal information that we store about you as explained
above may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies. We do not exchange
cookies with any third party websites or external data suppliers;
- We only keep cookies for the duration of your visit to our site.
3. Uses made of Personal information
We use the Personal Information held about you (or your child) in the following ways:
- The Information you give to us. We will use the information to:
- carry out our obligations (whether day-to-day administration or educational, social
and health needs obligations) arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to
provide you with the information and services that you request from us;
- provide you with information about your child’s Class attendance, progress and
- provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to
those that you have already acquired or enquired about;
- provide you with information about schooling activities that may be relate to our
- provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information
about goods or services we feel may be of interest to you or your child (the Student).
- notify you about changes to our Services;
- ensure that Content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you
and for your computer;
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to our site or
other services you use.
- Information we collect about you. We will use the information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data
analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective
manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you and/or the Student to participate in interactive features of our
Service (when you choose to do so);
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and
others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about
goods or services that may interest you or them.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give
to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information
for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
- Submission of Personal Information on behalf of another: Kindly take note that if you provide
information on behalf of someone else (i.e. your child or your spouse), then it is your
responsibility to ensure that you have the authority and/or have obtain the necessary consent from
such person before making the information available to us. On receipt of personal information we
assume that the necessary consent has been obtained and will process the Personal Information as per
your instructions. You indemnify us against any third party claim where a third party claim that
personal information have been processed without the necessary consent or other available exception
under the Act.
- We will only use your (or your child’s) personal information received for another purpose (including
sharing it with a third party) when:
- You consent thereto; or
- It is in the interest of You (or your child), i.e. necessary to lessen or prevent a
serious or imminent threat to life, health or safety; or
- Is required by law or for law enforcement purposes.
- Where consent for the use and disclosure of personal information is required, we will seek consent
from you, the data subject, or from you on behalf of your child/the Student, directly.
4. Disclosure of your information
- We may share the Personal Information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries,
our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in the Companies Act 2008.
- We may share the information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any
contract we enter into with them or you, subject to a written agreement to confirm that the personal
information should be dealt with as confidential information.
- Service providers that provide information processing services to us (as an
operator). In those circumstances those third parties shall be required to enter into a
and protect the information as confidential and in accordance with our instructions;
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve
relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to
our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we
may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We
may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to
target. We may make use of the personal information we have collected from you to enable us to
comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and
optimisation of our site (de-identified information only).
- We may disclose the information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may
disclose the information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which
case personal information held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share the information in order to comply with
site of ours or terms and conditions of supply of our services to you and other agreements; or to
protect our rights, property, or safety, or the rights, property or safety of our customers, or
others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes
of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
5. Where we store your information
- The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside
the Republic of South Africa ("RSA"). We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that the
data protection legislation is similar to our POPI Act.
- All of the information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers or in terms of paper
documents, stored in secure locations. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password
which enables you to access certain parts of our site (login facility), you are responsible for
keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. Where your child
has been issued with a password, we expect that you, as a parent, will educate your child to keep
his/her password secure;
- Records of the information will not be retained for longer that is necessary for operational or
archiving purposes for which the information was collected, unless retention of record is required
or authorised by law. Records of the information may be retained for periods in excess of those
contemplated for historical, statistical or research purposes, subject to us establishing
appropriate safeguards against the records being used for any other purpose and or we have
de-identified the record(s).
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although
we will use appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational measurements to protect the
information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site or to any other
location by electronic means; any transmission is at your own risk. HOWEVER, once we have received
the information, we will use appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational measurements to
try to prevent unauthorised access.
6. Social media platforms
- Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that we, our
directors or employees participate in are custom to the specific terms and conditions as well as the
privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
- You are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate / engage with them with due
care and caution in regard to their own privacy and personal information. We will never ask for
personal or sensitive information through social media platforms and encourage users, wishing to
discuss sensitive details or to resolve issues/concerns, to contact us through primary communication
channels such as by telephone or email.
- Our social networks page(s), may share web links to relevant web pages. By default some social media
platforms shorten lengthy URL's. You are advised to take caution and good judgement before clicking
any shortened URL's published on social media platforms by this website. Despite the best efforts to
ensure only genuine URL's are published many social media platforms are prone to spam and hacking
and therefore this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications
caused by visiting any shortened links.
7. Interception and monitoring of information
We reserve the right to intercept, monitor, copy or block communications to and from our communication
facilities (including but not limited to our site, the login facility, email, SMSs etc.) in accordance
with the relevant provisions of the law.
8. Your rights
- Marketing: You have the right to ask us not to process the information for marketing purposes. We
will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such
purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can
exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to
collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at
email@example.com or use the unsubscribe functionality on our email communications.
- Third party websites/social media sites: Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from
the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of
these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not
accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you
submit any personal information to these websites.
- Access to information: You have a right to see/access the information that we keep. You may instruct
us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you/your child upon receipt of a
written request and payment of a fee as per the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000
("PIA Act") (click here to view the PAI Act). It is important to take note
that not all information requested may be disclosed. Disclosure of information shall take place in
accordance with the PAI Act.
- Protection of personal information: We may not process any personal information concerning you or
your child, unless we have your prior consent to do so. It is important to take note that not all
information may be prohibited from being processed or distributed. The processing of information
shall take place in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 ("POPI"
here to view the POPI Act).
9. Quality of personal information
- It is your responsibility to check the accuracy of the information prior to submission to us. On
receipt of the information we assume that you have checked it and that the information is accurate;
- Please contact us or the Tutor where your child is, if the information
that we hold about you/ your child needs to be corrected or updated. Take note that a request to
update the information may take up to 48 (forty eight) hours to execute, or you could login to our
online facility and update the information yourself.
- We will endeavour to the best of our ability to make available to you means to amend the information
appropriate (not obliged), notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or